Monday, November 16, 2009

The Lalla Family Christmas Transition

Growing up, the Lalla family had a simple holiday transition rule... in order to make sure Thanksgiving gets enough r-e-s-p-e-c-t (channel your inner Aretha, folks!), we were not allowed to do ANYTHING Christmas-y until Santa went by in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was always worth the wait... we'd be in our pajamas watching the parade, smelling all the good stuff coming from the kitchen, dancing to the parade performances. And FINALLY, Santa and his rosy cheeks would be waving to us from the TV... Ma would immediately turn on the Christmas music, and it pretty much played from then until New Year's! No Black Friday shopping for us, we'd spend the weekend putting up all of the Christmas decorations and decorating the trees.


Things have changed now that our family has grown to include 3 spouses. But, thankfully, the Lalla Family Christmas Transition still takes place in some form or fashion. My sister and I may not be in our pajamas dancing together in front of the TV Thanksgiving morning, but we are sharing the big parade moments through text and picture messaging (and possibly stepping away from the in-laws tables for a quick phone call to squeal "SANTA! SANTA!").


While the holidays can get a little stressful as we try to get from one family to another, I have to say that we are so thankful to have 2 loving families to share it with. I love that the Lalla Family Christmas I grew up with has expanded to include decorating the gingerbread house with my sis-in-laws, Secret Santa, and early morning Christmas Breakfast with Andrew's family. I love that Andrew and I have our own little Christmas the night before we head to Cartersville to be with our families. I love that this year I will be hanging two little puppy stockings on our mantle, next to ours and Kitty's.


This year flew by, but thank goodness it is the most wonderful time of the year! :)

1 comment:

  1. I just love family traditions! Yours sounds so magical... that's the word my sister and I use to describe Christmas morning, because everything just glitters more. Here's to tradition!

    ReplyDelete